Friday, May 19, 2006

Greetings,

My name is Alan Capasso and I have been invited to join this little band of blogers. I have no given day so I could pop up at any time or when one of the other members is on leave.

I am a second generation Italian American, the grandson of a union between a priest and rectory cook/cleaning lady. I’ll tell that story in some later post. I’m a father of 6, grand father of 5, and husband to1. I earn my daily bread as a free lance artist, writer and a full time substitute teacher. I’m a revert to Catholicism after many years of an ugly head long tumble down.

My spiritual reversion is credited to a weekend at Franciscan University in Steubenville and my intellectual reversion is do in no small part to GKC.

I saw a Chesterton quote on the back of T-shirt at Steuby.
“Happy is he who still loves something he loved in the nursery: He has not been broken in two by time; he is not two men, but one, and he has saved not only his soul but his life.”

Until then I thought something was wrong with me for loving the time of my early youth. And here was a T-shirt saying it’s OK. No, I do not get all my insights from t-shirts. Bumper stickers however, are another matter. I asked the student about who Chesterton is and was greeted with flaming enthusiasm for his writing, I went to the book store and bought Dale Ahlquist’s book The Apostle of Common Sense. An overview seemed right for me at the time before I jumped into the deep end.

I have lent that book out several times since to any one I can corner. I have also been filling my library with Chesterton, Lewis and Belloc ever since then.

I do have a tendency to rail against big lumps of stupid that some wear as hats. I am working on learning from GKC that gentle humor is better than ranting but my record is not so good with that.

Talk to you soon,
Alan

No comments: