Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Gilbert Sighting


A handful of weeks and a bucket of lost sleep ago I directed a play for my local High school for them to enter in the state competition, (their regular teacher was out on maternity leave). We placed second in our category but that is not the story. On our first day of rehearsal I entered a classroom to meet them and there before me stood a blank blackboard. I am always drawn to a blank writing surface like a groom to his bride I cannot leave it untouched.

Upon it I wrote some of my favorite quotes about art and theatre, two of which were Gilberts: “A man does not know what he is saying until he knows what he is not saying.” and “Art, like morality, consists in drawing a line somewhere.”

During that rehearsal I did not talk about any of the quotes. I just let them sit there. Unusual for me but that is just how it played out.

A few days ago I was back in the school, to pick up my son, and they had a display case up containing some students favorite quotes and there in the bottom center done up in red marker on yellow card stock was G.K.C’s, “Art, like morality, consists in drawing a line somewhere.” I smiled big.

But not so fast white boy. When my son finally showed up I pointed that quote out to him all puffed with pride, “Gilbert strikes again” I said.

“Oh yea, There’s a new teacher this year that is constantly quoting Chesterton.” My son told me.

“Thanks for the heads up son.”

“Sorry. What’s for supper?”

So I guess there is a new friend for me to make.

No comments: