Friday, July 30, 2010

Anne Rice Leaves Home

I once wrote clerihew about Anne Rice's rediscovery of her Christian faith:

Anne Rice
found a pearl of great price.
But she had to make money first
dwelling on an unnatural thirst.

I was skeptical. Sure enough, she recently rejected Christianity, declaring:

"In the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian."

A few years back she wrote about her return to Christianity in Called Out of Darkness.

I guess she's heading back into the darkness.

4 comments:

West said...

That quote is so telling. Essentially, she created a list of parties she doesn't want to stop attending, or a list of friends she doesn't want to offend. Apparently Jesus didn't make the list—seeing as in order to fully commit to her refusals she will have to ignore everything he's said in the past, and everything he speaks to her heart now.

Alan Capasso said...

a great example of why pride is on the list of deadly sins

The Expatriate said...

Finally she wised up, saw through the bull, and did what every intelligent Catholic does: leave the Church.

A Secular Franciscan said...

Exptriate - On the other hand, Chesterton was an intelligent man who saw through the bull and joined the Church. You might consider reading some of his writings.

As for Rice's intelligence in making this decision, if you read her explanation you can see how flawed her thinking was (and I get the impression that there was something other than thinking involved in all this). She is clearly a troubled soul who needs our prayers.