Friday, April 07, 2006

Grasping at straws, here

Content!

What follows is one of my favourite installments from one of my favourite comic strips. The comic is the Perry Bible Fellowship, and the installment is called "Suicide Train." Observe:

Now why, you may ask, am I posting this here?

I'm posting it for a couple of reasons, though the one I'm most ready to give is that it is, in a way, a Chestertonian story. The gloomy pessimist resolves to go out in one final act of disdain for a world too mundane to be worthy of his notice, only to be shocked by the mystery and magic that really does lurk behind every corner. His frustration is apt, too, for so bitter is he that he does not want to be proven wrong. He is characterised by spite rather than hope. He loudly demands, "where's all this wonder, then?" but not because he actually wants someone to show it to him, or even thinks anybody could.

So, there's that.

On a more basic level, however, I'm posting it because it's good for a laugh and I'm running low on ideas. I don't have Eric's mysterious web of connections that allows him to glean Chestertonian trivia from every inch of the world, and I certainly don't whatever it is that Joe has that enables him to do stuff so regular. I'm only one man.

Welcome to my Friday.

No comments: