Thursday, August 12, 2010

It's What's for Dinner


The recent news brought back one of my strongest memories of grad school. I was sitting with a few friends on my stoop demolishing a case of beer.

It was a beautiful early spring evening and the conversation was good. We were comparing and contrasting Louisiana politics with our home states when one of my friends, who had recently immigrated from Vietnam, blurted out, “ I love this country! Dinner comes right to your door!” Two of us did a spit take.

We then spent some time trying to convince him that, as good as they are, dogs and cats in this country are not be considered as a food source for your family.

I do not know if he ever followed that advice but from that time on, when my wife and I were invited to his place for dinner, I always asked what was on the menu.

No comments: