Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Divine Mercy

My thoughts on the Virginia Tech shootings have yet to form into coherent language except for this: Never underestimate man’s capacity for doing evil. We often do and that is why the headline in our local paper asked, in big bold letters: HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN?
Chesterton speaks several times on the difference between pessimists and optimists here I would like to quote my Dad, “A pessimist knows what an awful place this world can be. An Optimist is forever finding out.”

I first heard of this tragedy coming off my weekend high where I got to watch my son receive the Sacrament of Confirmation and it was Divine Mercy Sunday. ("throughout the world the Second Sunday of Easter will receive the name Divine Mercy Sunday, a perennial invitation to the Christian world to face, with confidence in divine benevolence, the difficulties and trials that mankind will experience in the years to come.")

I’ve been saying the Divine Mercy chaplet frequently since yesterday morning.

No comments: