Tuesday, June 17, 2008

In Dale Ahlquist's essay, G.K. Chesterton and The Perils of Being a Complete Thinker, he states

There is a created order, and in keeping that order, we are happy, and we are free. In upsetting that order, we inflict a disorder which makes us miserable. Chesterton says, "When you break the big laws, you don't get freedom. You do not even get anarchy. You get small laws."

It is the the little laws that enslave us. It is the big laws that keep us free.

Which brings me to , Same-Sex 'Marriage' and the Persecution of Civil Society, by Jennifer Roback Morse.

"Legalizing same-sex 'marriage' is not a stand-alone policy, independant of all the other activities of the state. Once governments assert that same-sex unions are the equivalent of marriage, those governments must defend and enforce a whole host of other social chages. ...The fact that opposite and same-sex couples are different in significant ways means that there will always be scope for the state to expand its reach into more and more private areas of more and more people's lives."

Read her whole article here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is what most disturbs my mind over all the gay marriage absurdity; In the broadest sense, I don't really have much of an opinion about the private arrangements between people, or about whether my government wants to give out some kind of certificate or other to this couple or that.

If gay people want to play house, and the government wants to play along for some inexplicable reason, I could almost dismiss it (but for my concern for their souls).

I might be content to let them go their way, while I go mine. But I doubt - I seriously doubt - that they will allow this.

They will, at some point (and we may be there, already) force me to join them in their delusion. There will be coercion by the state. We will not be allowed our opinion on the matter, if it varies from the official position.

In other words, on that topic the Christian faith will be illegal, punishable by imprisonment and the confiscation of property. Prohibitions on speech, association and assembly will follow.

So, while I have the opportunity, let me make plain: there is no such thing as gay marriage, and never will be. It is impossible, a contradiction in terms. It is a fantasy, and I won't ber made to pretend otherwise.

Trubador said...

Two great commentaries on the subject are from Dennis Prager and Frank Pastore (links below):

http://www.townhall.com/Columnists/DennisPrager/2008/05/20/california_decision_will_radically_change_society

http://www.townhall.com/Common/PrintPage.aspx?g=76cf23d5-c83b-45de-97a2-a30eb9ceaa97&t=c