“The one thing this Russian loves is Liberty. The one place where he finds it is in … no, not Christianity… Christ. Compared with that, he cares nothing for anything.” - G. K. Chesterton
I recently finished reading Fyodor Dostoyevsky's The Possessed (also called The Devils). It was one of my reading goals for this year. It also means I have now read all of Dostoyevsky's four great novels, the other three being The Brothers Karamazov, The Idiot, and Crime and Punishment. (I also read Notes from the Underground.)
As I read it, I couldn't help thinking about the current socialist upsurge in the Democratic party in the United States. His satire of the radicals/socialists in Russia could easily be applied to our progressives today.
I knew that Chesterton, like me, appreciated Dostoyevsky. He once wrote that Dostoyevsky "was one of the two or three greatest novelists of the nineteenth century. And he cared for nothing but Christ who had made him free. It is worth thinking about.”
I found a lecture that even dealt with Chesterton and Dostoyevsky.
https://youtu.be/2v2pEyoU8ps?si=pUfomTC4KZ4ymR0Y
No comments:
Post a Comment