Thursday, August 27, 2026

Overlooked Dystoipian Novels


I recently saw a list of best dystopian novels, with dystopian fiction defined as "a genre that explores imagined societies where life is deeply flawed, oppressive, or dehumanizing, often as a critique of current social, political, or technological trends."

The list included many familiar titles, such as 1984 by George Orwell, Brave New World by Aldous 
Huxley, and Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. There are also some more contemporary titles such as The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood, The Road by Cormac McCarthy, and The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I searched a few other lists and found such works as The Giver by Lois Lowry, The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey, and Divergent by Veronica Roth mentioned. There were other lists that cited some novels I'd heard of, but with which I was not familiar.

I noted some works that I would include on my list of favorite dystopian novels tended to be left off most of the "best" lists.

That Hideous Strength by C. S. Lewis was mentioned on only one list. Ditto for A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller. Lord of the World by Father Robert Hugh Benson was left off the lists. And my favorite novel by Chesterton, The Napoleon of Notting Hill, was left off as well. If I was compiling a list, I'd even include some of the novels of Michael D. O'Brien, such as Eclipse of the Sun and Plague Journal

I wonder if these works get overlooked because therer are Christian elements in them?

I've read many dystopian books, but certainly not all. So, my list of 10 favorites (not necessarily "the best"), in no particular order, is subject to change:

That Hideous Strength by C. S. Lewis
A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller
Lord of the World by Father Robert Hugh Benson
The Napoleon of Notting Hill by G. K. Chesterton
Eclipse of the Sun by Michael D. O'Brien
1984 by George Orwell
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.
The Time Machine by H. G. Wells
We by Yevgeny Zamyatin





No comments: